Last month, with the passing of the 4th of July and the nation’s birthday, we asked you why you think this church has inspired Americans for so many generations.
By Bernard Trubowitz
Last month, with the passing of the 4th of July and the nation’s birthday, we asked you why you think this church has inspired Americans for so many generations. Many of you took the question to heart and managed to fit some pretty detailed responses onto the small post-it notes we provided! Here are some of our favorite replies as to why the Old North has continued to inspire Americans for so long :
- “Because it was here that the lanterns were lit to being Revere’s ride through every country town and farm to alert the colony.”
- “Because there’s a ton of history behind it and it’s been here for hundreds of years.”
- “It symbolizes the bravery and daring of our country and the men & women who started it all!!”
“It symbolizes freedom.”
- “(It makes us) think of bravery and sacrifice for something larger than ourselves.”
- “Because there is a story behind it that has also been passed down for generations.”
- “It gives people hope that they can make a big difference too.”
- “(Because) this is where the country began.”
- “I think it has inspired Americans because so many amazing historical events have happened here that we want to do something greater each day.”
- “Because it taught me a lot.”
- “(Because) I feel glad here at the Old North Church.”
- “Has to be the organ. Without music, life would B♭.”
- “Because we can read the names & feel the living presence of real men whose faith & willingness to sacrifice made it possible for us to be a free country.”
This month, we’d like to hear your thoughts on all the people who have visited or attended the church for the reasons you’ve listed. With Patriots and Tories, wealthy merchants and slaves, several presidents, and even a queen as visitors or parishioners at the Old North, who is your favorite figure in Old North’s history? Why?
This is the new Sounding Board question this month; see if you can spot the board in its new location and leave us your answer! As usual, we will collect your replies at the end of the month and post them here online!